average working hours: usually eight hours a day with a legal maximum of 40 hours a week.                                                          holidays: employees are entitled to five weeks' leave per calendar year.
tax rates: non-residents are subject to tax liability, if the income is from an Austrian source, for details see Austrian Federal Ministry of Finance - Bundesministerium für Finanzen (BMF).
EU/EEA and Swiss citizens basically enjoy the same rights as Austrians, except where legislation governing the employment of foreign nationals provides otherwise.
work permits
Nationals of the EU, Liechtenstein and Switzerland have the same basic rights as Austrians and therefore do not require work or residence permits. They are, however, required to register their stay (Meldezettel) with the local authorities within three days of arrival.
Work permits for nationals from a country outside the European Union are issued on an individual basis only and do not cover any other dependant family members. Each individual family members must apply themselves if they wish to obtain a work permit for Austria.
applying for a job
An application can be a time consuming process with no guarantee of success. Applications should be made as early as possible.
There are many different sources supplying details of available jobs. Search engines and newspapers with job sections online are excellent sources of information. If you wish to work for a specific company check out their website as many companies advertise vacancies there. Emoloyment agencies can also offer help but their services often have to be paid for.
Application papers for an Austrian company differ from the usual CV and Cover Letter format found in English speaking countries. A complete job application includes:a written job application; aCV (curriculum vitae) with a passport sized photo; certificates from previous employers and additional training, together with a letter of application. Applications should be written in German unless specified otherwise
Electronic applications are increasingly popular in Austria and typically the first contact will be by sending a covering letter and CV by email.
An example CV and template can be found at:
Interviews tend to be formal occasions. It may be neccessary to attend more than one interview at the same company. Dress code is formal and a strong emphasis is placed on punctuality.
UK qualifications are usually recognised by an employer in accordance with the Bologna Process and the creation of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) but this is not the case fpr every country.
vacancy sources
Job websites (German & English)
EURES- European Job Mobility Portal (numerous languages)
recruitment agencies
Some UK-based employment agencies deal with international vacancies or have branches in Austria. The Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC) has contact details of approved UK agencies. Eurociett is the European organisation of the International Confederation of Private Employment Agencies (CIETT), where you can search their list of members (mitglieder). Recruitment agencies are also listed in under ‘arbeitsvermittlung’.
The press is a very important source of vacancies, and you’ll find job listings in the ‘Karriere’ or ‘Job’ sections in both national and regional papers, including:
Der Kurier
Der Standard
Die Presse
WirtschaftsBlatt also has a vacancy section, and is an invaluable source of business news if you want to sound well informed at a job interview. Access to more Austrian newspapers, including regional ones, is available via Kidon Media-Link.
other sources
Recruitment fairs organised by AIESEC (Association Internationale des Etudiants en Sciences Economiques et Commerciales) take place throughout Austria.
There are public employment offices throughout the country. Vacancies can be accessed directly through the Austrian Employment Service - Arbeitsmarktservice (AMS). They have a department for graduates (Akademiker) in offices in university towns. The English pages on the website give general employment information.
Networking is very important in Austria. Austrian students often develop their business contacts by linking their dissertations or project work to specific employers or industries. You may need to think creatively to develop your own network of contacts. Find out if your university has an Austrian alumni group, or create a profile on LinkedIn and network online.
work experience
Work placements and internships
No distinction is made between placements and internships in Austria. They are common and flexible, ranging from just a few weeks to a year, and are available throughout the year. Opportunities are advertised through job websites or the AMS.
There are work placement opportunities for those studying vocational subjects. IAESTE (The International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience) offers paid course-related work placements abroad for undergraduate students in science, engineering, technology and applied arts in their second year of study or above. The placements usually take place in the summer for between six and twelve weeks. Students pay for their own travel, but employers pay a salary to cover living costs. AIESEC also offers students and graduates the opportunity to work abroad.
Erasmus is the EU programme for education, training, youth and sport for 2014-2020 and covers student exchange, work experience and volunteering opportunities. Both under and postgraduate students can study abroad for 3 to 12 months. Erasmus+ also provides opportunities for work experience for students to learn new skills or languages, as well as volunteering in different countries for between 2 weeks and 12 months.
teaching schemes
The market for teaching English is mainly for business purposes, but there are summer opportunities for teaching English to children and young people. You'll find teaching information and jobs on Teach Abroad Austria and other similar websites. Longer-term teaching posts in other subjects may be available in English-language schools in Austria.
casual work
Graduates are most likely to find seasonal or holiday employment in ski resorts and hotels. You can also work picking grapes in the autumn. Information on seasonal and casual vacancies in tourism can be found in Austrian jobcentres and the AMS website, or look for advertisements at Anywork Anywhere, Season Workers and similar sites.
Apart from casual work, opportunities exist for au pairs. You will probably need some childcare experience but you may not necessarily need to know German. Try agencies or au pair websites for openings.
gap year and volunteering opportunities
Volunteering and taking a gap year is a good way to gain experience. WWOOF Austria combines work on organic farms with getting to know the people and countryside. Voluntary opportunities in Austria can also be found on Volunteer Abroad, Service Civil International and similar websites.
visa information
Do you need a visa?
Holders of European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss passports do not require a visa for Austria.
However, if you intend to stay for more than three months, then your permanent residence has to be registered with the relevant settlement authorities (Niederlassungsbehörde) within four months after arrival into the country. There are certain conditions, details of which you’ll find at
You should contact the Austrian Embassy in your home country for more information, or visit EURES - European Job Mobility Portal to find out which regulations apply (go to 'Living & Working' and select 'Austria'). More detailed information is available on the Austrian government's website,
If you are not a UK national, contact the Austrian Embassy in the country where you are currently residing about how to obtain visas and work permits.
Any foreign national to whom labour restrictions apply, and who wishes to work in Austria, will need both a work permit and residence permit. Your work permit must be applied for by your future employer in Austria and must be obtained prior to your departure from your country of residence and be presented upon arrival.
A big plus in your search for a job will be your knowledge of German. Do not assume that everyone  in Austria speaks English. German knowledge is required in order to facilitateday to day life and to find a job with the majority of companies. There are many online resources  before you arrive and language schools offering intensive courses once you are here.
types of employment
In Austria, anyone can take a job from age 15 on, respectively after later completion of compulsory school. Before completion of compulsory school, young people from age 15 on may be employed in certain cases such as an apprenticeship or practical training. Children and young people up to age 18 are covered by child and youth employment legislation.
Part-time working is widespread in the trade sector. Seasonal work is common in tourism and the hotel and catering trade in cities and tourist areas as well as agriculture and forestry. Freelance service and work contracts are increasingly replacing conventional employment contracts in many fields of employment.
The type of employment stipulated in the employment contract does not necessarily correspond to the real-life situation: e.g. a contract may state a freelance services contract, althogh the occupation is carried-out in personal dependence, meaning the employed person is bound by instruction, directions regarding working hours, place of work, etc. In this case the contract is in fact a regular employment contract and the respective rules apply.
full and part-time work
The conventional contract of employment in a permanent employment relationship with all its rights (leave entitlement, protection against dismissal, social insurance, etc.) and obligations continues to be the most common form. Part-time employees are subject to the same labour legislation rules as full-time employees and have (except cases of marginal employment) the same insurance protection (sickness, accident, unemployment and pension insurance). This also applies to fixed-term employment contracts, although there are no periods of notice since the employment relationship ceases at the end of the contract.
independent / freelance contractors
Independent (freelance) contractors have limited protection under labour legislation, In the absence of a specific agreement between client and freelance contractor, freelance workers have no claim to statutory benefits such as periods of notice, holiday pay, etc.
minimal employment
Minimally employed workers (Geringfügig Beschäftigte) (monthly income not exceeding € 405.98 in 2015) are covered by accident insurance. The employer must register this part-time employment with the health insurance provider. Voluntary health and pension insurance is available, to be paid for by the minimally employed worker. Under labour legislation (protection against dismissal, severance pay, etc.) minimally employed workers are treated equally as employees in employment for which the remuneration exceeds the marginal employment limit. There is only one exception regarding the shorter notice period, if the weekly working hours of a minimally employed person are less than one-fifth of the legal (or collective treaty) regular working hours (e.g. less than eight hours, if the regular working hours are 40). Such contracts are getting increasingly popular in some sectors (e.g. trade).
new self-employed workers
The category ‘new self-employed workers’ comprises all commercial activities for which a trade licence (Gewerbeschein) is not required (e.g. writers, consultants, translators, lecturers, psychotherapists). The new self-employed have to report their activity to the Social Insurance Institution for Trade and Industry. They are covered by sickness, pension and accident insurance. Self-employed persons have been to insure themselves against the risk of unemployment.
Apprentices (trainees) in all sectors must conclude their contracts of apprenticeship in writing for under-age apprentices, their legal representatives have to agree as well.Apprentices enjoy full insurance protection (sickness, accident, unemployment and pension insurance) and have special protection against dismissal.
seasonal workers
Seasonal workers in the hotel and catering trade are subject to special collective treaty provisions regarding their working time; there is full social insurance protection.
agency workers
Agency workers enjoy full insurance protection, but are to some extent covered by statutory provisions specific to them (e.g. short-term dismissal protection).
voluntary workers
Voluntary workers have trainee status. They are under no obligation to perform work and have no claim to remuneration. 
student jobs
Finding part time work is generally not difficult as the Austrian university system is based on a flexible schedule. Students do not need a work permit. However, the amount of money that can be earned is  limited. If more is earned taxes and more expensive social security deductions will occur.
Universities often help with organising appropriate internships.
taxes and social insurance
Austria has a progressive tax system with 4 bands varying from 0%-50%. Everyone in gainful employment in Austria will make compulsory contributions to a social insurance fund which will cover medical treatment, pension contributions etc. Top up insurance is available if you wish to receive more preferential treatment (choosing a specific doctor, etc.). It may be wise for expatriates to consider additional medical insurance in case of the need for repatriation, etc